Motorized self-balancing scooters are fantastic. The joy of riding on a hoverboard is something cannot be expressed in words. No wonder the popularity of devices has grown immensely in the recent times. The hoverboards are not only fun to ride, but also they add a certain degree of oomph to the rider. It’s hard not to look cool when riding the hoverboard.
Besides the cool factor, these hoverboards make an active mode of personal transportation, and they are capable of achieving a maximum speed of 10 mph. You can get a fantastic and uninterrupted ride for maximum 15 miles at a single charge.
- What to look for when buying a hoverboard
- SagaPlay F1 Self Balancing Scooter
- Halo Rover Hoverboard
- VEEKO Hoverboard Two-wheel Self-balancing Scooter with Bluetooth Speaker – UL2272 Certified Hover Board(9.6Km/hr Max 225lbs Max) with 6.5” Aluminum Alloy Wheels,250W Dual Motor-Black
- TOMOLOO Music-Rhythmed LED Hoverboard for Kids and Adult Two-wheel Self-balancing Scooter- UL2272 Certificated with Bluetooth Speaker- colorful RGB light
- MegaWheels Hoverboard Self Balance Scooter
- Final Verdict
What to look for when buying a hoverboard
- Safety comes first. Make sure you buy a hoverboard that has a UL 2272 license, which is a safety certification by a global safety science organization. If the device is licensed and certified, you can be assured that it will not be vulnerable to battery accidents.
- Look for a seller that provides you money back guarantee for at least 30 days from the date of purchase. You want to make sure that you can return the hoverboard in case you are not satisfied with it. When you purchase the hoverboard through Amazon Prime, you don’t have to worry so much about the return policy.
- Read customer reviews to ensure that the company provides excellent customer service. You should be able to contact a representative if you face any issues with the hoverboard.
- If you want to use the device on rough surfaces and grass, we suggest that you buy a hoverboard that has larger size wheels than the standard 6.5-inch. This wheel below is an 8.5-inch rugged wheel from Offical Halo Rover Hoverboard.
- When you are buying a hoverboard for the first time, make sure it has a good manual mode. You’ll need to learn how to ride the hoverboard as a beginner, and it is critical that you or your loved ones are safe riding it.
- The rider’s weight and height should be considered when buying a hoverboard. Most of them can handle the weight of 20 to 110 kgs (44 lbs to 242 lbs).
If you are planning to buy a hoverboard anytime soon, it is important that you get your homework done. Currently, there are a lot of brands and models available in the hoverboard market, so we have created a list of the top 5 best hoverboards to help you buy the one that meets your requirements. Let’s check them out together.
SagaPlay F1 Self Balancing Scooter
Let’s start with the name – SagaPlay which instantly gives you an idea that it’s meant for fun and play. The Sagaplay team is based in the Silicon Valley, CA and their main goal is bringing innovation in the world of balance boards while maintaining safety standards and improving the rider experience.
First, the name caught our attention. When we looked at the design, we could tell that the hoverboard comes from one of the market leaders in this industry. The sleek and aerodynamic design makes it lightweight, so you hardly feel anything beneath your feet as you glide on the streets. The hoverboard weighs less than 22 lbs, and it is one of the lightest boards available in the market. This one is good for those who would like to do tricks and perform in front of the audience.
The advanced omnidirectional movement of the hoverboard allows you to change the speed and direction based on design easily. The manufacturer has taken due care of the safety parameters. Whether you are a professional who loves to perform tricks or a beginner who is trying to learn how to balance, the custom rubber guards provide just the right amount of protection from the hardest spills.
- Measures 25.5 x 10 x 10 inches
- Weighs 22 lbs
- Needs 1 Lithium-ion battery
- 5” inch Alloy Wheels
- UL 2272 certification
- Gyroscopic sensors
- Equipped with powerful 250W Dual Motors, it can climb slopes 15 degrees steep
- The battery can last up to 1 hour and more than 9 miles at a single charge
- The LED battery indicator tells you when the devices need recharging
- Non-slip foot pedals give you a good drip as you glide or perform tricks
- The self-balancing scooter is rated IP56 for solidness and water resistance
- The fast charging technology can give you a full tank in 2 hours
- The learning curve for this scooter is pretty low
- It comes with a one-year limited warranty that covers labor and parts
- The machine may shut down suddenly and need a restart
- It may make funny sounds
- It makes an annoying beeping sound when you go too fast
We love the design and performance of SagaPlay F1 Self Balancing Scooter. It is a thoughtfully designed balancing scooter for all ages. It is water resistant so you can enjoy a fun ride without worrying about getting it damaged. We like that the manufacturer has maintained all safety standards to ensure that riders to enjoy and have fun.
Halo Rover Hoverboard
Halo Rover Hoverboard comes from a Los Angeles based company that believes in producing scooters that are capable of meeting the highest standards for capability safety, and quality. When you take a closer look at the device, you can see that it has been built with great care with intelligent features to enhance your riding experience.
The scooter comes with 8.5-inch thick tires that are robust enough to travel easily on all types of terrains. It can achieve a speed of up to 10 miles per hour at a single charge. Regarding safety, the hoverboard scores high marks as it allows you to climb hills that are up to 20 degrees steep with great ease.
Each hoverboard by Halo Rover passes the UL certification, and it also meets the water-resistant compliance. The LED headlights improve the visibility for riders as well as others on the terrain.
This balancing scooter can be controlled by an app which allows the users to monitor the speed, power, and distance traveled. You may use the app to easily adjust Halo Rover’s steering sensitivity, speed, and various other features.
- Measures 9.1 x 8.7 x 27.5 inches
- Weighs 32 lbs
- 5 inches terrain capable tires
- UL certified fire-safe LG batteries
- Maximum weight capacity 265 pounds
- High-grade aluminum guard and frame
- Bluetooth music playback
- Mobile app tracking and ride modes
- Water resistance IPX4 certification
- The scooter looks great and rides really well
- The app is easy to use and the music sounds good on HB speakers
- Customer support is solid, friendly and helpful
- The app allows you to easily switch between training modes, battery life, track speed and distance
- The tires are indestructible and they give you a smooth ride
- It comes with a free Halo Rover case with shoulder strap
- The hoverboard works on all types of terrains
- The outer casing is breakable and you need to pay extra for repair
The Halo Rover hoverboard impressed us with its strong build and amazing performance. It is the only scooter in the market to come with aluminum protective guards and wheels. The scooter is controlled by a mobile app and the Halo Bluetooth Speaker lets you enjoy great music as you ride on it. No wonder it is ranked as the 2018 Best Hoverboard.
VEEKO Hoverboard Two-wheel Self-balancing Scooter with Bluetooth Speaker – UL2272 Certified Hover Board(9.6Km/hr Max 225lbs Max) with 6.5” Aluminum Alloy Wheels,250W Dual Motor-Black
This self-balancing scooter comes from Veeko, one of the most sought-after hoverboard companies. In this review, we will find out what makes it so special. The product has a simple design, but it claims to do its job well. It is compact and it can handle a weight of up to 225 lbs.
This fun hoverboard allows you to walk, run, spin and even dance as you please. It meets the UL safety regulations and other requirements to give you a joyful ride.
This scooter comes with amazing controls which enable beginners to learn how to ride quickly. You need to step on the device, balance yourself and cruise along at a speed of 6 mph. You can enjoy this fun ride to your college, grocer’s shop, and nearby destinations.
It comes equipped with a 350 W dual motors that enable you to climb the slopes, as steep as 15 degrees. So, this device saves you time, money and energy.
- Measures 10.31 x 10.51 x 26.18 inches
- Weighs 22 lbs
- Made from ABS plastic
- Anti-skid tires
- Two 350W motors
- Li-ion 36V 4 Ah battery
- Takes 2-3 hours to charge
- One user manual
- Maximum climb limit is 15 degrees
- Meets UL 2272/2271 safety regulations (overheat protection, speeding protection, low weight protection, low battery protection, slope protection for enhanced security)
- Lightweight scooter allows you to travel conveniently thus saves a lot of money
- The aluminum alloy rims are shock-absorbing and they provide extra durability
- The 10 minutes auto shut function capability helps in boosting the battery life
- The manufacturer stands behind the product and offers a 1-year warranty on products
- It alerts you when you reach the 6 mph limit but allows you to speed beyond that
- The user manual does not come with clear instructions
If you are planning to buy the first hoverboard for your son or daughter, this can be a great choice. This is a really cool looking toy at a reasonable price. We like the design and build of this product. It takes only 30 minutes to get fully charged and gives you 2-3 hours of the fun ride. The manufacturer has taken great care to ensure that the scooter meets the safety regulations so that rider has a blast without being exposed to any risks.
TOMOLOO Music-Rhythmed LED Hoverboard for Kids and Adult Two-wheel Self-balancing Scooter- UL2272 Certificated with Bluetooth Speaker- colorful RGB light
This great looking hoverboard comes from the stable of TOMOLOO, a brand that is considered as the trusted leader of balancing scooters manufacturers. These scooters boast the most advanced mainboard program to ensure a stable riding experience. It is UL2272 certified and approved by the CPSC.
The hoverboard allows you to reach a maximum speed of 7.5 miles per hour and attain a maximum climb up to 20-30 degree angles. It comes equipped with 200-watt direct-drive dual motors with the ability to carry the weight of 220 lbs.
This self-balancing scooter is app-controlled, so you can easily set the speed and mode (learning, normal or advanced). As a beginner, you can start with the learning mode and then move on to the next two levels as you gain practice.
The auto shutdown feature of the scooter helps in extending the battery life. You can also enjoy listening to music with a professional stereo speaker as you hover to the various destinations. The LED lights increase the face value of the product and make it look like a super cool gadget. However, you need to download an app to control the lights and music.
- Weighs 20 lbs
- 6.5 inch tires
- Maximum weight limit 220 lbs
- Maximum speed limit is 7.5mph
- Maximum distance is 9.3 miles
- Charge time is 130 minutes
- Bluetooth, Apps, and Lights
- Well-designed hoverboard with cool lights and Bluetooth speakers
- It is UL2272 certified and approved by CPSC for safety and guarantee
- Promises a reliable ride and gives you a maximum 7.5 miles/hour
- Three different modes available to suit your different style
- Easy app control and great Bluetooth music
- Waterproof Cap and Fire-Retardance: PC + Anti-Fire Materials
- Customer support is available 24/7
- Comes all charged up so it’s ready to use out of the box
- The charger that comes with the product is cheap and does not last long
This TOMOLOO hoverboard boasts a cool design, and it is perfect for the beginners. The LED lights and Bluetooth speakers not only make the self-balancing scooter stand out in the crowd but also it makes the ride more entertaining. What we really like about the product is that it comes fully charged so you don’t have to wait for 2 hours to get the full tank. Thus, it makes a great birthday or Christmas present during the holiday season. At this price, the TOMOLOO hoverboard exceeds our expectations. We highly recommend it.
MegaWheels Hoverboard Self Balance Scooter
When we set our eyes at the MegaWheels Hoverboard Self Balance Scooter we could say that this is a perfect combination of looks and reliability. The manufacturer has paid a lot of attention to the exterior build and design of the product. People of all ages will enjoy riding this glossy and stylish self-balancing scooter.
The scooter boasts a smooth and sleek design. It includes two 350-watt powerful motors with anti-slip pedals to give you a good grip. Whether you are a beginner or a professional looking for a smart looking scooter to zoom around the house or neighborhood, MegaWheels scooter promises hours of fun.
We were impressed to find that the manufacturer has taken due take to ensure the safety of the riders. The product has passed the UL 2272 certification. The batteries and charger are protected from over-discharging and overcharging hazards. It is also explosion-resistant and fire-resistant. The scooter comes in an anti-impact case, and it is water-resistant so splashing water on it will not damage the product.
The MegaWheels scooter boasts a speed of up to 12 kilometers per hour and you can cover a maximum distance of 15-20 kilometers. It allows you to climb slopes that are 25 degrees steep (depend on the weight of the rider).
- Measures 9.88 x 10.12 x 25.71 inches
- 5-inch dual tires
- Maximum weight 110kg
- Anti-slip resistant pedals and tires
- Splashing-resistant device
- 36V lithium-ion battery
- Charging time 3 hours
- Anti-impact case
- Local maintenance service
- One Year Standard Warranty
- Short learning curve so it’s easy to learn even for kids
- Works right out of the box
- Great design and glossy shine makes it an eye catcher
- Dual motors make hovering smoothly over the slopes and bumps
- Takes 3 hours to charge and lasts for really long
- The product is durable so you get good value for money
- Not smooth when tried on rocky or bumpy road
The MegaWheels Self Balance Scooter is a well-built hoverboard with a stylish appearance. It is reliable and the battery lasts for really long. The product is ready to use out of the box which means you don’t have to charge it before you can try it on. We love the performance of the scooter and the safety regulations are high which makes this product worth your money.
If you are a beginner, we would like to tell you that learning to ride a hoverboard is easy if you have the right scooter with you. For professionals, you can explore your potential to the fullest and perform tricks with ease by choosing the right board.
While all of above are good regarding speed, range, and safety parameters, if we have to pick one it would be the Halo Rover Hoverboard for its indestructible 8.5-Inch thick tires, app control, and hands-free music. The scooter maintains high standards of safety which makes it one of the best hoverboards in 2018.