- The 5 Best Hoverboards for Teenagers
- Detailed Review of each Hoverboard for Teens
- Other Questions about Hoverboards for Teenagers
- The Final Verdict
Are you struggling to find the right gift for a teenager who doesn’t seem to like anything? Why not get him or her a hoverboard? Teens are all about tech these days, but at least this device will get your teen outside!
Or perhaps you ARE a teen, and you’re looking for the best hoverboard for teenagers. Well, either way, this article is for you!
Teenagers sit at an interesting spot when it comes to hoverboards. On the one hand, they probably still want some of the fun features that come with children’s hoverboards, such as Bluetooth speakers, spinning LED lights, and different patterns or color choices. On the other hand, they’ll want something with a little more power and speed, and possibly off-roading potential.
Below I’ve carefully chosen five hoverboards that will appeal to teenagers of different ages and sizes. These include hoverboards suitable for beginners as well as riders with some experience.
For each one, I’ll explain which type of teenager it is most suitable for. Hopefully this will help you find the best hoverboard for your teenager (or you!) Make sure to also check out my recommended elbow, knee, and wrist guards for kids and teens!
The 5 Best Hoverboards for Teenagers
These five hoverboards for teenagers are in stock today and available for purchase online. I’ve arranged them from cheapest (and least powerful) to most expensive (and most powerful)
TOMOLOO Hoverboard with Speaker and Colorful LED Lights Self-Balancing Scooter UL2272 Certified 6.5″ Wheel for Adults and Child
FLYING-ANT Hoverboard, 6.5 Inch Self Balancing Hoverboards with Bluetooth and Flashing LED Lights, Hover Board for Kids Teenagers
Swagtron Swagboard T580 Warrior Hoverboard with Speaker Synced Lighting FX Powered by LiFePo Battery Technology, Blue, 500W
Which teen is each of these best for?
Here’s a quick breakdown of why each one of these teenager hoverboards made the cut, and this should help you decide which one is best for you.
Detailed Review of each Hoverboard for Teens
To see how I came to the above conclusions, here are my detailed reviews for each of these five hoverboards, including the pros & cons of each one.
Note that all of the following hoverboards come with Bluetooth speakers and LED lights. And if you’re looking for a hoverboard for a girl, they all come in pink or other colors than the ones you see in the pics here.
The SISIGAD is one of the top selling hoverboards right now. Although very popular for children, it can handle teens and even young adults. It comes with loads of color choices.
SISIGAD does make cheaper hoverboards, such as this non-Bluetooth one, but only this one comes with Bluetooth speakers and an app, so it is my most recommended SISIGAD board.
You can also read my SISIGAD 6.5″ hoverboard review here.
- Speeds of up to 6 MPH (9.7 km/hr)
- 6.5″ wheels
- Weight limit: 44-200 lbs (20-91 kg)
- Board weight: 20 lbs (9 kg)
- Battery life: 30 min to 1 hr
- Charging time: 3-5 hours
- Dual 160W motor (total 320W)
The SISIGAD is a super low-priced hoverboard suitable for teens. If you go any lower (for example these hoverboards under $100), you’ll lose out on features that your teen probably considers essential (like an app and Bluetooth speakers).
One thing that you’ll notice right away is that the SISIGAD comes in loads of different color choices. And as if that weren’t enough, there’s also the Fun Edition.
This board is lightweight at only 20 pounds. And while it can handle riders up to 200 pounds, which should cover most teens and even adults, it is ideally suited for pre-teens and younger/smaller teens.
There are some trade-offs when getting a hoverboard for this cheap. First of all, the charging time of the SISIGAD is quite long, and then you only get 30 minutes to an hour of usage before you have to charge it again. Secondly, it can only reach 6 MPH; while this speed is surely enough for kids, some teens may hope for more. Overall, it is not a very powerful board, and can only climb inclines up to 10 degrees.
- Super low price
- Tons of colors and patterns to choose from
- Can handle riders up to 200 pounds
- Very light
- Long charging time
- Short battery life
- Won’t perform as well for older/larger teens
- Less powerful overall
The TOMOLOO Music Rhthmed hoverboard tops my list of the best hoverboards for kids, but it is also a solid choice for pre-teens and younger teens. This super fun board has LED lights that sync to the music being played, and decent specs all around for a pretty good price.
You can also read my more detailed TOMOLOO review here.
- Speeds of up to 7 MPH (12.5 km/hr)
- 6.5″ wheels
- LED lights that sync with the music
- Weight limit: 44-220 lbs (20-100 kg)
- Board weight: 17.6 lbs (8 kg)
- Battery life: 2-3 hours
- Charging time: 2-3 hours
I consider the TOMOLOO a very fun option, again mainly for pre-teens and younger teens, due to its unique feature of LED lights on five different spots on the board that sync to the music being played through the speakers.
Compared to the SISIGAD, the TOMOLOO is a little more expensive, but you get what you pay for. The TOMOLOO has a shorter charging time and longer battery life. It is also a little more powerful than the SISIGAD, able to reach speeds of 7 MPH and climb hills of up to 15 degrees.
Last but not least, the TOMOLOO is a super lightweight board, at only 17.6 pounds, which will make it easier if your teen has to carry it anywhere.
While the TOMOLOO is a step up from the TOMOLOO is terms of power, it is still not a very strong hoverboard. That’s why I would only recommend it for younger, fun-loving teens. Also, it only comes in a few color choices.
- Cool LED lights that sync with Bluetooth speakers
- Decent speed of 7 MPH
- Decent charging time and battery life
- Super lightweight
- Not powerful enough for older teens
- Few color choices
Flying-Ant is a brand that is easily associated with hoverboards and instills trust and the knowledge of the outstanding quality of their products. This hoverboard will be no exception thanks to the superior craftsmanship used and the nice features.
- Speeds of up to 10 MPH (16 km/hr)
- Robust 6.5″ wheels
- 300W dual motors (combined 600W)
- Weight limit: 44-220 lbs (20-100 kg)
- Board weight: 23 lbs (10 kg)
- Can climb inclines of 15-30°
- Dual motors will provide enough power to carry even larger adults for a fun ride on the board
- You will be able to travel at an impressive top speed with a fully charged battery
- This hoverboard is quite lightweight and can easily be controlled by younger kids
- Decent size wheels will make it much easier to travel on many different surfaces for more fun
- Equipped with the self-balancing feature, this hoverboard is easy to ride and safe for beginner riders
- With all the nice LED lights built into this hoverboard, it will display nice and show off stylishly
- The more feminine colors make it a perfect gift for your teen girl for a fun time
With a nice top speed of 6 miles, you will be able to enjoy the ride while riding in the wind to increase the fun. It is lightweight and easy to control with natural body positions for leisurely rides and showing off your skills.
With so many LEDs included with the hoverboard, you will be able to shine in the dark and be very visible for your safety. Top and front LED lights will also allow you to ride your hoverboard in style and with a nice fashion sense, but will also allow you to see better when riding this board in the evening.
Because the Gyroor T581 is quite cheap for an off-roading hoverboard, it is not as powerful and robust (or heavy) as most other offroading hoverboards (like the next two entries).
Unfortunately, the battery included with the hoverboard from Flying-Ant will not last long on a full charge, taking away some of the fun. It will take more than 3 hours to charge fully, so it might be inconvenient for the impatient riders.
Another not ideal factor is that this board will not be able to go up a steep hill for more fun and downhill rides. It will only be able to ride on inclines of around 10 to 15 degrees, so adrenaline junkies may lose out here.
- Cheapest off-roading hoverboard
- Short charging time
- Great after-sales services with a replacement warranty
- There are many excellent fun features included
- You have a long list of colors available
- It comes with easy operating and control systems
- Not as powerful as most off-roading hoverboards
- It has a short battery life on a full charge
- Not ideal for steep inclines
Swagtron Swagboard Warrior XL Off-Road
Swagging is what you will do while riding around the neighborhood on this beautifully manufactured hoverboard. If you want to ride high, this is the hoverboard with fun and style included in just one package for your convenience.
- Speeds of up to 9.95 MPH (16 km/hr)
- Robust 8.5″ wheels
- 350W dual motors (combined 700W)
- Weight limit: 44-265 lbs (20-120 kg)
- Board weight: 33 lbs (15 kg)
- The large wheels included on this hoverboard makes it a true all-terrain, fun riding board
- With a maximum load capacity of up to 220 pounds, it will carry even larger people with ease
- Powerful dual motors provide up to 600 watts of power to play around with this board
- A Lifepo battery protection option will help to improve overall battery life for a long time
- Extra-large space on the board will easily accommodate large feet because that is what the XL stands for
- Safety features are included in this hoverboard to protect the rider from harm while using it
This hoverboard is made for the swaggers out there, with up to 30 synced LED lights included with this hoverboard. It also comes with large ultra-bright LED headlights to add to the fun and show-off factor of the board.
This is a safe ride with many safety features included, such as the non-flammable and explosion battery-proofing. The footpads also come with a nice grip factor to keep you safe while riding on the board.
Another great thing is the high load capacity of up to 220 pounds this hoverboard will carry. This means that it is suitable for kids, teens, and most adults.
It is hard to say anyt
All the great features, the large size, and the large dual motors make this board quite heavy. For this reason, it cannot be used by smaller children and weaker adults to experience all the nice features included with the hoverboard.
It will also not be easy to assemble this board to have it ready for use by anyone with no technical savvy. Also, the battery of this hoverboard does not last very long on a full charge, so you have only a short time to ride it.
It will take 45 minutes to drain the battery and will then have to be charged again for the next ride.
- Excellent specs for a more reasonable price
- Very fast (9.95 MPH)
- Top-quality materials used for construction
- A well-balanced hoverboard for a smooth ride
- Comes with a reasonable price tag
- Easy to use and control while riding it, even for beginners
- Very heIt is a bit on the heavy side
- Does not have a long battery life so short ride time
Electric Hoverboard Smart Self Balancing Scooter Hover Board 6.5
Welcome to the one of the most powerful, heavy duty, and top-rated hoverboards on the market today. Electric Hoverboard Smart Self Balancing Scooter Hover Board 6.5 is a beast of a hoverboard. Teenagers looking for the ultimate hoverboarding experience will dream of acquiring this hoverboard, but it’s going to cost you.
- Speeds of up to 10 Kilometers per Hour
- Robust 6.5″ wheels
- 400W dual motors (combined 800W)
- Training modes for beginner, normal, and advanced
- Weight limit: 200 Pounds
- Board weight: 32 lbs (15 kg)
- Can climb inclines of 15 to 30°
- Battery life: 1-2 hours
- Charging time: 2.5 hours
The Electric Hoverboard Smart Self Balancing Scooter Hover Board 6.5 is considered one of the most robust and powerful off-roading hoverboards out there. Compared to the Gyroor Warrior, it has an even more powerful motor. While the other specs may look fairly similar to those of the Gyroor Warrior, rest assured that this board is a champion when it comes to durability.
The Electric Hoverboard Smart Self Balancing Scooter Hover Board 6.5 also comes with three levels of training mode, decent battery life and charging time, and is one pound lighter than the Gyroor Warrior. Finally, it comes in four different colors: black, white, blue, and pink.
The Electric Hoverboard Smart Self Balancing Scooter Hover Board 6.5 X is a very expensive hoverboard. You have to pay around $100 more for specs that are similar to or only slightly better than the Gyroor Warrior. Also, this hoverboard could be too large and powerful for teens looking for a casual ride.
- Most powerful hoverboard
- Super fast
- Decent charging time and battery life
- Built to last
- Comes in 4 colors
- Very large and heavy
- Very expensive
Other Questions about Hoverboards for Teenagers
Here are some other questions you might still have about which hoverboard to get for a teenager.
How long does a hoverboard last?
Hoverboards have quite short battery lives compared to other electronics. They are big and use a lot of power. However, the exact amount of time it lasts will depend on the model, price, weight of the rider, surfaces conditions, speed, and whether you’re using features like lights or speakers.
The battery life times I mentioned for each hoverboard above are just average times, but they can serve as an indication of about what to expect. Find more info about this in my guide to how long a hoverboard lasts.
If you’re wondering how long the hoverboard will last before it dies completely, well, that also varies a lot. Because most hoverboards are cheaply made in China, they sometimes comes damaged or break really quickly. This is why it’s important to get one with a warranty.
But most hoverboards should last at least a few years, and this will depend largely on how well the rider treats it.
Are hoverboards safe?
Hoverboards used to have a reputation for spontaneously starting on fire and/or exploding. Luckily this is not longer the case. Hoverboard safety has come a long way, and all hoverboards sold in America now have to be UL 2272 safety certified.
Still, as a transportation device, hoverboard riders need to be careful on roads, and wear protective gear in case of wiping out. It is also considered unsafe to overcharge a hoverboard (don’t leave them charging unattended or overnight), or to ride a hoverboard until the battery is completely dead, as it may suddenly power-off and cause you to fall.
The Final Verdict
Hoverboards are a super fun, high-tech personal transportation device loved by many teens. If you’re going to buy one for that age group, consider carefully how old/big you or your teen is, and how you want to ride it.
For pre-teens and younger teens, the SISIGAD and TOMOLOO are super fun and budget friendly. The Gyroor T581 offers a little more power and the ability to go off-road, while the Gyroor Warrior and Halo Rover X are more serious off-roading hoverboards for older, thrill-seeking teens.