- The 5 Best Hoverboards for Beginners
- Detailed Review of each Beginner Hoverboard
- CBD Hoverboard for Kids, 6.5 Inch
- Hover-1 Titan
- UNI-SUN Hoverboard for Kids
- LIEAGLE Hoverboard, 6.5″ Self Balancing Scooter
- Other Beginner Hoverboarder Questions
- The Final Verdict
Are you thinking about getting your first hoverboard, or buying one for someone who has never been on one before? Hoverboarding can be a little intimidating at first. After all, no one is used to standing on something with two wheels that seems to magically balance on its own. Let’s be honest, you’re probably going to fall once or twice (make sure to get some of these wrist, elbow, and knee guards for that!)
Don’t worry too much, though. Hoverboards are surprisingly easy to get used to! Still, it doesn’t hurt to get one that will be ideal for your newbie needs. That’s why I have carefully chosen five of the best hoverboards for beginners for sale today!
I’ll begin this list with a few hoverboards that are ideal for very young kids. I’ll then move into some of the best beginner hoverboards for teenagers and adults, including ones that are suitable for a whole family of beginners.
Generally speaking, most hoverboards designed for kids are perfectly suited for beginners. However, larger/heavier riders will also need more powerful hoverboards, so your age and size is going to matter here. As a beginner larger rider, you’ll want to look out for hoverboards that come with training modes or beginner/advanced settings.
Before we get to all those details, here are our five picks for the best hoverboard for beginners:
The 5 Best Hoverboards for Beginners
Here are my five recommendations for the best hoverboard for a beginner rider. Note that all five of these come with LED lights and Bluetooth speakers. I’ve arranged them from cheapest to most expensive (at the time of writing).
Why is each of these best for a beginner?
Here’s a quick breakdown of why each one of these beginner hoverboards made the list. Hopefully this will help you decide which one is best for you.
CBD Hoverboard for Kids, 6.5 Inch Two Wheel Hoverboard, LED Lights Self Balancing Hoverboard with Bluetooth
UNI-SUN Hoverboard for Kids, 6.5″ Two Wheel Self Balancing Hoverboards with Bluetooth and Lights, Black Hover Board
Detailed Review of each Beginner Hoverboard
Read on to see all the details explaining how I came to the above conclusions about which hoverboard is best for a beginner.
The SISIGAD is one of the most popular hoverboards for sale today. It’s suitable for riders of all ages thanks to its wide weight limit range. According to its Amazon page, this hoverboard is “specially designed for beginners, amateurs, office workers, dog and cat walkers.”
Here’s a closer look, or you can head over to my full SISIGAD review.
- Tons of colors to choose from
- Speeds of up to 6 MPH (9.7 km/hr)
- 6.5″ wheels
- Weight limit: 44-200 lbs (20-91 kg)
- Board weight: 20 lbs (9 kg)
- Battery life: 30 min to 1 hr
- Charging time: 3-5 hours
The SISIGAD is one of the cheapest hoverboards for sale. This model sits well under $200, while the version with no Bluetooth is almost as low as $100 (see here for the best hoverboards under $200 and under $100). What make this hoverboard so good for beginners? While, the hoverboard was designers with the best interests of new riders in mind. This includes a low maximum speed of 6 MPH (this is the slowest end of the hoverboard speed range), a light weight, and self-balancing technology.
Besides the nice price, you also get tons of colors to choose from. What’s more, there’s also the Fun Edition and Plating Dazzle edition. if you’re looking for a hoverboard for a girl (or any boy who likes vibrant colors, for that matter!), you’ll be spoiled for choices here!
As the lowest-price entry on this list, the SISIGAD comes with some disadvantages. The charging time is long, while the battery life is short. It doesn’t have much power behind it, and while it can technically handle riders up to 200 pounds, 154 pounds is the recommended maximum, so it’s really only best for young kids. If you’re looking for a board that will still excite you once you move past the beginner stage, this is probably not it.
- Super low price
- Tons of colors and patterns to choose from
- Very suitable for young kids and pre-teens
- Long charging time
- Short battery life
- Not suitable for heavier riders
- Less powerful overall
CBD Hoverboard for Kids, 6.5 Inch
The hoverboard provided by CBD is safe to use for beginners and kids of all ages, with the self-balancing feature included. Even though it is safe, you should not let small children use this without adult supervision to protect them from accidents.
- Nice colorful lights to make the ride even more fun
- Added to the fun is the excellent built-in Bluetooth speakers
- It is equipped with dual motors to increase overall power output capacity
- This hoverboard can easily travel at high speeds of up to 6.2 miles per hour
- The large wheels allow you to travel over different types of surfaces
- It will easily climb steep hills with even the maximum load on it
- Straightforward controls that can be used by even the least technically savvy person
- A non-slip platform to stand on makes it even safer to use
There are many good things about this hoverboard, and the one that stands out is that it comes with dual motors. This will make the hoverboard quite strong to be able to carry a high maximum weight of up to 264 pounds.
Together with that, the large wheels will allow you to ride on rough surfaces to provide you with even more fun. The steepest inclines will also be easy to ride on with this hoverboard’s solid and durable overall design and construction.
Ease of use is another feature that makes the hoverboard from CBD ideal for younger children to use. The self-balancing feature makes it safe for a better experience.
What is not so great about this hoverboard from CBD is that it will take some time to assemble when it arrives. It also needs some level of technical savvy to get it ready for use, so adult help is required for younger people.
Another negative thing is that the battery does not hold a long charge and will be without enough power in under an hour. This will take away some of the fun if you consider that it will take three hours to fully charge.
- Well designed to be durable and strong, even with rough use
- It is available in many different color configurations
- Effortless controlling options for beginners
- It comes with a high maximum weight-bearing capacity
- Some assembly is needed before you can use it
- It does not hold a long charge, which limits use
Although better known for its heavy duty model (see the Gyroor Warrior entry in the #4 spot), Gyroor created the Gyroor Swift (T580) with beginners’ needs in mind. The Swift’s “beginners mode” makes it easy for children or first-timers to get the hang of hoverboarding, while the adult mode gives them room to kick it up a notch later on.
Like Gyroor, Hover-1 is another trusted brand known for it’s large variety of quality hoverboards in the mid price range. The Hover-1 Titan stands out here for its child and adult modes and favorable user reviews.
- Speeds of up to 7.5 MPH (12 km/hr)
- 6.5″ wheels
- Weight limit: 44-265 lbs (20-120 kg)
- Board weight: 30 lbs (103.6kg)
- Battery life: 1-2 hours
- Charging time: 2-4 hours
- Three learning modes
Moving up in price and in power, the Hover-1 Titan borders on heavy duty hoverboard, yet it offers three training modes (beginner, intermediate, and expert). This makes it highly suitable for beginning teenagers or adults.
The Hover-1 Titan comes with a 500W motor, more powerful than the above hoverboards we looked at. It is also heavier, at 30 pounds. This means it is better equipped to handle larger riders, providing them with three learning levels to grow accustomed to hoverboarding. The product specs indicate that this hoverboard is recommended for ages 15+, but many users with kids say that their kids had no issue getting used to this board.
Finally, the Hover-1 Titan comes in four different colors.
The Hover-1 Titan is fairly slow at charging. Also, due to its increased power and weight, it’s not an ideal board for younger riders.
- Powerful and suitable for larger riders
- Decent speed and battery life
- Four colors to choose from
- Three learning modes for training
- Slow charging time
- Not the best for kids or younger teens
UNI-SUN Hoverboard for Kids
Made for show and fun, this hoverboard can be used to ride around in fashion and style while having fun on the go. The overall design of this hoverboard from Uni-Sun comes with exciting lights over the wheels to further increase the fun factor.
- A strong wheelbase will keep the rider safe on top of the hoverboard
- Nice fashionable features are included to provide the rider with increased fun while riding the board
- Strong 300-watt dual motors keep this hoverboard running at peak speeds of up to 12 miles per hour
- The controls make this hoverboard easy to learn by even younger kids
- With excellent Bluetooth speakers included, you can ride while listening to your favorite music
- A reminder for low battery capacity will keep the hoverboard safe and show you when to stop
- Large 6.5-inch wheels make it easy to ride and maneuver over different terrains and surfaces
With the ability to spin 360 degrees, you will have far more fun using the hoverboard as there are more tricks to show off. The hoverboard’s easy start and the get-on-it-and-go function make it much easier to use for even younger kids.
To ride at high speeds on the road is the dream of most kids out there, and that can be easily achieved with this board. High speeds of up to 12 miles are an excellent opportunity to experience low flying on your hoverboard.
The smart, safe system included will keep you safe while riding it, ensuring that injuries are limited and minimal if they occur.
The maximum load capacity of this hoverboard is around 220 pounds which is not the highest out there. It will still easily carry an adult up to that weight, but it is not meant for large persons weighing more than that.
It also does not come with a fast charge option, so you will have to wait more than three hours before using it. The battery will also not last very long to make up for the fact that you have to wait that long while it is charging.
- All-terrain tires make it easy to use on different surfaces
- High maximum speed can be achieved
- Fire protected materials used for increased safety
- Top-quality materials used with the construction of hoverboard
- It does not have a high maximum load capacity
- No fast charge option included with it
LIEAGLE Hoverboard, 6.5″ Self Balancing Scooter
With a strong and durable design, this hoverboard is made to last for a long time to provide you with many hours of fun. This hoverboard from Lieagle comes with great features included to make riding the hoverboard even more fun and exciting.
- Nice LED lights placed over the wheels makes it more fun to ride, especially in the dark
- Strong 300-watt dual motor to carry larger kids and adults with ease
- High speeds of up to 7.5 miles are possible to achieve for great experience and fun
- With stable controls, this hoverboard is quite easy to use with no steep learning curve for even younger kids
- An easy Bluetooth connection will allow you to listen to music while riding around on the board
- This is quite a safe board for kids with a non-slip platform for your feet to keep you on top all the time.
Even though it will carry only around 200 pounds, the dual motors are strong enough to gain top speeds of 7.5 miles. This will be fun for all the speed freaks out there who love to ride at top speeds on the board.
With easy-to-connect Bluetooth, the fun factor will increase on this board with music playing while riding. This is also a safe board with non-slip footrests and easy controls, making it easy to use by young and old.
All the fun tricks can be learned in only a few minutes with this hoverboard from Lieagle, even if you are just starting out.
It will take four to five hours to fully charge the battery of this hoverboard, so you have a long waiting period without fun. The charge will hold for some time, though, to make up for the time you did not have fun on the board.
Also, there are not many color configurations available to add to the overall fun and aesthetics of the hoverboard. What this means is that there are up to three standard colors to choose from and only one fun color shade.
- Good craftsmanship is used with the construction
- Safe to use for all ages of kids and even adults
- Non-slip platform to ride on for increased safety
- Quite easy to assemble for even the smaller kids
- You do not have many fun colors to choose from
- Very long charging period needed for the battery
Other Beginner Hoverboarder Questions
As a beginner at hoverboarding, you probably have a lot of other questions. Here are some common ones explained.
What should I look for when buying a hoverboard?
Hoverboards are not super cheap, so it only makes sense to do some research before buying one. First and foremost, think about who is going to ride it, and pay attention to the hoverboard’s weight limits. Second, consider what features you want, such as Bluetooth speakers, off-roading capability, and training modes. Finally, don’t cheap out on hoverboards; the cheapest ones often come at the expensive of quality and features.
For more information, see my 12 essential tips for buying hoverboards.
How do I ride a hoverboard?
Get on a hoverboard for the first time is quite an experience. It can be intimidating to put your faith in a device, and trust that it will actually “hover” (technically just maintain balance) when you get on it. The best tip is to not hesitate; step on with one foot, and then the other.
Make sure you step with your feet as far towards the wheels as possible. Now, refrain from leaning too far in any direction. Instead, you depress slightly down with the front of your feet, and voila – you’ll start moving forward. Do the opposite to slow down or even ride backwards.
To turn, you’ll have to forward press with only one foot. For a more dramatic spin, press forward with one foot while simultaneously pressing backward with the opposite foot. And that’s riding in a nutshell!
For more detailed information, see my guide to how to ride a hoverboard.
The Final Verdict
While the thought of hovering around on an electric device may seem daunting at first, most people get used to it surprisingly fast. Within no time, it becomes second nature, like riding a bike.
For beginner children, the SISIGAD is my top recommended choice. For beginner adults or anyone who hopes to take hoverboarding more seriously after passing the beginner phase, consider investing in a Hover-1 Titan while the Halo Rover is the ultimate hoverboard for beginners through to experts.